The National High School Musical Awards (also known as the Jimmy Awards) is a national celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theatre that recognizes individual artistry in vocal, dance and actng performance. The Jimmys impact more than 50,000 students annually who participate in high school musical theatre competitions in their own region throughout the U.S. A Best Actor and best Actress from each competition is sent to New York for a week-long theatre intensive of coaching and rehearsals with industry professionals in preparation for their Broadway stage debut at the Jimmy Awards show where an esteemed panel of judges crowns the nations top performers.
Tucson high schools can compete in this competition by entering The Monte Awards - High School Musical Theatre Finals. Organized by Broadway in Tucson and Arts Express, jurors (professional arts educators and theatre artists) will review each participating high school musical. A selection of finalists will be selected to participate in the regional competition to be held in Tucson in early May (see schedule below). The winners of The Monte Awards will go on to compete in New York at the Jimmy Awards. All candidate’s expenses for the local and national competition are paid.
THE MONTE AWARDS PROGRAM INFORMATION
- All Semi-Finalists (approximately 35 students) will receive small group coaching on their Primary Song
- April 11th: Each Semi-Finalist will be asked to sing a 2-minute excerpt (maximum) of one of their solo songs from their qualifying performance (Primary Song) before a panel of judges
- April 13th: Based on the April 11th adjudication, the Production and Medley groups will be announced.
- Production Group: Will perform in three group numbers at the regional event (Opening and Closing Numbers and Production Number) and are eligible for selection as a Production Group Finalist. Production Group Finalists are selected based on a second adjudication of their Primary Song on May 8th. Production Group Finalists (1-2 students) will perform their Primary Song at the May 9th event and are eligible for Best Actor/Best Actress awards.
- Medley Group:Will perform Opening and Closing Numbers as well as the male/female medley at the regional event that will include a solo of their Primary Song. The top 6-8 Medley Group Finalists will also perform their Contrasting Song at the May 9thth event and are eligible for Best Actor/Best Actress awards.
- Semi-Finalists will participate in rehearsals as follows: Opening and Closing Group Number Rehearsals (All Semi-Finalists), Production Number Rehearsals (Production Group Members Only), Male Medley Group Rehearsals (Male Medley Group Members Only), and Female Medley Group Rehearsals (Female Medley Group Members Only)
- All Semi-Finalists will receive small group coaching for their Primary Song and all Medley Group Members will receive small group coaching on their Contrasting Song as well.
- May 8th: Students will perform a 2-minute excerpts of their Primary (all Semi-Finalists) and Contrasting Songs (Medley Group only) for panel adjudication.
Criteria for Determining Top 1-2 Production Group Finalists
Criteria for Determining Best Actor and Best Actress
In addition to the adjudicated scores, the Spirit Award (based on contestant vote) and the Audience Choice Award (based on audience vote) will be awarded during the Tucson Starlight Awards competition.